and two years later, here are the 14 steps of how they planned to spend their first Valentine’s Day together after 14 months of being long distance. Okay, so it wasn’t a bar. It was actually a St. Patty’s Day party. And it wasn’t a coincidence like Luke Skywalker thought it was. There may have been some strategic planning behind it. But anyways, here’s how the story goes…
1. Before they even met, Princess Leia was trying to figure out a way to spend her 2012 St. Patty’s Day…when she stumbled upon this Facebook page and decided she absolutely HAD to meet this handsome stranger.
Some may call it an act of stalking. She on the other hand considered it a clever way of tactfully taking matters of love into her own hands. Handsome, a baseball player, law student, AND his profile displayed a collection of goofy pictures that could hold their own against her own spazz-tacular funny faces? Can you blame her for finding herself in dire need to meet this beautiful stranger?
2. The night of the party arrived, and Luke Skywalker was even more dashing and wittier than his Facebook profile led her to believe.
Not only that, but he had some pretty sweet dance moves which he showed off while dancing to a little One Direction “That’s What Makes You Beautiful” and Carly Rae Jepson “Call Me Maybe”, two songs that would forever change the way they both viewed boy bands and pop sensations.
3. After exchanging witty Wayne’s World references in terrible Irish accents and participated in dance offs to see who had the best moves (Princess Leia, of course), it was time to call it a night and head back to opposite ends of the great state of Idaho.
But not before Skywalker could ask Leia if she would go on a date with him when he was back in the City of Trees (and potatoes). From that day forward, they took turns each day asking a “question of the day” and emailing their lengthy responses back and forth.
The two were so eager to be reunited, they decided to create a paper chain to countdown the days until they were to meet again. They were both so enthralled by one another that Princess Leia convinced him to come back two weeks later so he could “spend Easter with his family”, and possibly squeeze in a date with Leia as well.
Luke Skywalker anxiously sped through Idaho to pick up Princess Leia in his X-Wing Fighter. Okay, it’s the 20th Century, it was actually his mom’s Ford 500 and they went out for their very first official date. Though Darth Vader was not so happy with his son when he found out that Luke had allowed his enthusiasm to lead to a speeding ticket while in the process. Luckily, no speeding tickets have been involved in their relationship since.
A very nervous girl changed her outfit a dozen times and with shaking hands, smiled as a giddy boy handed her a bouquet of colorful Daisy’s. They decided the course of the date based on activities they had written down during the previous weeks on “Glenda the Good Witch” post-it notes. Drawing randomly out of a bowl, sushi and baking cookies from scratch were the winners. Though falling asleep on the kitchen floor after hours of storytelling and laughter was not on their agenda and the two found themselves not wanting to part at the end of what became its own holiday as “Easter Eve”.
4. When Skywalker moved back to the City of Trees, he had a secret that he couldn’t help but want to share with the rest of the world. He could confidently answer the question he sported on one of his favorite t-shirts.
Girlfriend or play baseball? Well what do you think he decided? Will baseball make you laugh so hard your cheeks hurt? Or make you dinner completely from fresh produce and expose you to new foods and adventures? How about dress up in goofy costumes and run fun themed races with you?
5. The two became inseparable and supported each other in every way possible. He even helped her pack up her entire closet while she studied for summer school finals. And even after seeing her running shoe fetish and inundation of high heels, loads of hairspray bottles (which she used to kill of the spiders that took over her room in the summer), he still wasn’t scared away. Like a married old couple, one of their favorite activities was to cook dinner together followed by a game of cribbage. They left each other notes and surprises to encourage each other and make the other smile.
6. They were so supportive of each other, that when Princess Leia applied for a position to intern with her dream magazine, Women’s Health Magazine, which later kept her in New York City, Luke Skywalker watched her get on a plane which took her thousands of miles across the country and they both agreed no amount of distance could get in the way of their affection and commitment to each other.
They were, shall I be cliché and say it? Soulmates.
7. They ventured into their long distance relationship, doing whatever it took to make keep their relationship strong while still staying true to their own dreams. Many hours were spent on Skype while sharing their days events and they kept a journal called “The Happiness Project” where each day they took turns writing down the highlight of their day.
8. It wasn’t easy at times, but they found that love can you give you the strength to do things you never imagined possible. She loved him so much she became a dedicated sports fan with him, traveling to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and became a diehard Ohio Buckeyes fan.
9. She also learned how to travel out of just a carry on suitcase (complying with all the FAA traveling regulations!) so they could enjoy weekend trip getaways to meet up and spend time together. Checking things off their bucket lists, attending weddings, amusement parks, and even decided to make their love for one another official, by locking it away on the Brooklyn Bridge and throwing the key out into the water where it was to never be seen again.
10. But locking away their love wasn’t enough, it was time to not just watch those keys disperse into the river, but to take the plunge themselves and fully commit.
…it was time to spend their first valentine’s day together. And they decided to make it a trip for the books! They booked a flight to Houston where they planned a romantic weekend consisting of morning runs along the beach, dinner while watching the sunset over the ocean’s horizon, running in their underwear for the Cupid’s Undie Run to support The Children’s Tumor Foundation, and engaging in the activity that brought their happy hearts together, dancing at a Randy Houser Concert.
11. In true Type A personality, Princess Leia started planning their weekend away. She yelped all the restaurants in the surrounding area and found which ones had the best guacamole, French toast, and sweet potato fries. She shopped around online and went all over Manhattan in search of the perfect costumes for their Cupid’s Undie Run. It was exhausting, but finally she found the perfect attire for them to run their pants off (literally). And then, it happened.
12. The next step wasn’t planned but cupid and Mother Nature decided to start a little feud. A feud that would become so large it would gain its own nationally recognized name as, “Storm Pax”.
Storm Pax was a force to be reckoned with they learned. They crossed their fingers, had happy thoughts, and sent positive vibes, but that storm took over the East Coast and slowly both their hearts dropped as flight after flight was cancelled. Hours were spent with very kind Southwest Airline Employees, flights were constantly being cancelled due to weather conditions. They booked train tickets only to have to cancel those as well, looked into different flights, thought about buses, anything that would get her out of the of the city and to Texas to begin their weekend together. But Mother Nature had different plans, and on the eve of Valentine’s Day, instead of saying goodnight face to face as they planned, they sadly wished each other sweet dreams via a poor connection on Skype.
13. Princess Leia decided to plan something on her own to surprise Luke Skywalker for Valentine’s Day. But what? She remembered one of their favorite things was to have pizza eating competitions to see who could eat an entire pizza in one sitting. The last time they had done this was at Patsy’s Pizza in UWS Manhattan. They had a favorite place in Boise that Genevieve decided to call up and have them make a special Valentine’s Day treat for Luke Skywalker to pick up on his lunch break Valentine’s Day.
(LUKE: THIS IS WHERE YOU’RE GOING! HURRY AND BE THERE BY 1:15 PM!)
14. When Princess Leia woke up the next morning, she had a dozen missed calls from Luke Skywalker on her phone and confirmation emails saying that she had a train to Boston at 8:00 am to catch a 3:00 pm flight from Boston to Houston. He had stayed up all night calling Southwest and trying to find a way to get her out of the city. She jumped out of bed, grabbed her packed suitcase, said a little prayer (kept her fingers crossed, thought happy thoughts, and sent positive vibes), and rushed through the slush to catch her train.
You’re probably waiting for a happy ending right? A romantic, Hollywood style meet up in Houston as they run into the embrace of each other’s arms. They would partake in their weekend of activities, travel the world, go on to get married, and live happily ever after right?
The world will have to wait and see as she now waits anxiously. She’s made it to Boston and now waits to see if her flight will make it out so she can arrive safely in Houston to spend another adventure with the love of her life.
TO BE CONTINUED!